Gathering In His Arms
Sunday School 9:30 am
Worship 10:50 am
With What Denomination is Bethany Christian Church affiliated?
- We are a member of the Christian Church, Disciples of Christ. The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ while founded on American soil in the early 1800s, is uniquely equipped to live up to its identity that it is a "movement for wholeness in a fragmented world."
The denomination was born in the 1800s, and continues to be influenced by its founding ideals of our unity in Christ with openness and diversity in practice and belief. The church is identified with the Protestant "mainstream" and is widely involved in social and other concerns. Disciples have supported vigorously world and national programs of education, agricultural assistance, racial reconciliation, care of the developmentally disabled and aid to victims of war and calamity.
The denomination now counts about 700,000 members in the United States and Canada in about 3,700 congregations. Numerically, the strength of the Disciples of Christ runs in a broad arc that sweeps from Ohio and Kentucky through the Midwest and down into Oklahoma and Texas. Learn more about what disciples believe my clicking here.
What is the symbolism of the chalice?
- The Red Chalice, bearing the "X-shaped" cross of St. Andrew was adopted as the symbol of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) by the denomination's General Assembly in 1971.
The chalice symbolizes the centrality of the Lord's Supper to Disciples life. The St. Andrew's cross, the national cross of Scotland, focuses attention on the Scottish Presbyterian roots of the church. Thomas and Alexander Campbell both studied in Scotland and were Presbyterians. St. Andrew has been identified with the laity and evangelism, prominent emphases of the Disciples over the years.
The red color of the chalice signifies vitality, spirit and sacrifice.
How do I join the church?
- Joining Bethany is straightforward. The only requirement for membership is a confession of faith in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. If you belong to another church, you can transfer your membership to Bethany. Those new to the faith will be baptized after their confession of faith.
Is Childcare provided?
- YES! During our Sunday activities and during many of our weekday activities, child care is provided. Our child care workers are skilled and trained regularly. You can find the nursery in the children√??√?¬Ę??s wing (through the gym).
Where are located?
- Bethany Christian Church is located at 3223 Westheimer Road (next to Lamar High School.) You can find detailed directions by clicking here.
How can I get involved?
- There are many opportunities to put your faith into action at Bethany. We offer monthly outreach projects that serve the community. For more information on how you can get involved, contact our ministers, Rev. Evan M. Dolive and Rev. Tim Schomp by clicking here.
What Times Are Your Services?
- Sunday School: 9:30 a.m. Sanctuary Worship Service:10:50 a.m. Contemporary Service 10:50 a.m. (upstairs in chapel)
Learn more about Sunday at Bethany by clicking here.